The Japan Association for Promotion of Latin America and the Caribbean (JAPOLAC) was established on March 16, 2020 in Tokyo and is composed of business people from Japan and Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC), who are interested in deepening and expanding exchanges of people, culture, education, trade, tourism and others areas between Japan and LAC. Although the relations between Japan and LAC have gradually grown in the past decades, still the interaction between Japan and LAC maintains low levels of exchanges compared with Europe and the United States. In addition, there are not many organizations in Japan strongly committed to promoting the exchanges between Japanese and Latin American and Caribbean people. There is not even an annual Latin American and Caribbean Festival in Japan, lasting several days, which allows Japanese people to become widely aware of products, gastronomy, music, dance, sports, art and other aspects of LAC’s culture. Therefore, JAPOLAC wishes to establish a collaborative bridge with the active participation of Japanese and LAC people to bring together the best aspects of both cultures, based on basic human principles, including principles borrowed from the founder of Panasonic, the late Konosuke Matsushita.
Guiding Principles and Pledges
The Principles below will guide the thoughts and actions of JAPOLAC members. Therefore, any person who wishes to join the Association must pledge full compliance to these Principles, which are the foundation of a long-lasting and harmonious human relationship.
- Solidarity. All members pledge to act in unity, supporting each other and first thinking in the well-being of the others.
- Courtesy and Humility. All members pledge to be kind and humble to each other.
- Honesty and Fairness. All members pledge to act and behave in an honest manner, always looking for a fair and balance relationship with their peers.
- Transparency. All members pledge to act and behave in a transparent manner when conducting their own activities and those of the Association.
- Cooperation and Teamwork. All members pledge to maintain a cooperative spirit, working together for the successful development of the Association.
- Untiring Efforts for Improvement. All members pledge to work tirelessly to pursue permanent improvement for the Association and themselves.
- Flexibility, Adaptability and Assimilability. All members pledge to be flexible enough to change course when surrounding circumstances demand; adaptable enough to incorporate new ideas, methods and procedures with the aim of transforming the business model due to change of circumstances in the economy; and assimilable enough to be easily accepted by the others.
- Contribution to Society. All members pledge to make their utmost efforts to work with JAPOLAC for the well-being of Japan, LAC and the world.
- Neutrality. Since JAPOLAC has adopted the principle of neutrality, all members shall refrain from involving the Association in political, ideological, religious, racial, gender or any other conflictive situation, seeking to maintain a harmonious and long-lasting relationship.
JAPOLAC wishes to bring the finest Japanese and LAC people to develop a collaborative model, which enhances the well-being of Japan and LAC. The collaborative model must recognize the value of each person’s work and grant him or her what they fairly deserve. The collaborative model must also endeavor to increase the spiritual and material wealth of people in both regions, so that every person can enjoy a decent and worthy life.
Through the dedicated work of its members, JAPOLAC will strive to create the most valuable exchanges of ideas, virtues and best practices from both regions to improve the quality of life of Japanese and LAC people. In this connection, JAPOLAC members will make every effort to always maintain positive vibes, which in turn, will lead to constant innovation in the relationship between Japan and LAC.
To increase interaction between Japan and Latin America and the Caribbean, through personal, educational, cultural, trade, tourist and other exchanges.
To create a cooperative model, which enhances the spiritual and material well-being of the members, and beyond.
To expand the network of Japanese people interested in Latin America and the Caribbean region.
To establish an important cultural presence of LAC in Japan, with the annual celebration of the LAC Festival.
To network and support other associations and cultural activities related to the region of LAC.
In order to fulfill the Association’s objectives, JAPOLAC will be engaged in the following activities:
- To organize cultural festivals, which exhibit music, dance, gastronomy, sports and other cultural aspects of LAC.
- To support the promotion activities of the Embassies of Latin America and the Caribbean countries in Japan.
- To network with other organizations or groups promoting LAC’s cultural activities in Japan.
- To support and organize exchanges of people in order to increase cultural and professional growth in both regions.
- To support the expansion and deepening of academic exchanges between Japan and LAC universities. It includes the creation of channels of communication with educational institutions of Japan to explore ways to carry out business-academia cooperation in Japan and LAC.
- To organize networking events to identify business opportunities between Japan and LAC.
- To organize business seminars for Japanese companies to explain protocols and communication channels to do business between Japan and LAC.
- To support the organization of business seminars for commercial authorities and missions of LAC when visiting Japan to promote trade and investment.
- To organize meetings with Japanese trade authorities to learn about new business regulations, developing direct contact with those authorities for future updates of business conditions in Japan.
- To support and network LAC companies participating in trade fairs in Japan, by introducing business contacts to LAC companies in the context of those fairs.
- To establish a digital platform to support small and medium-sized companies of Japan and LAC to do business in the territory of both regions.
- To network with business organizations and civic associations of Japan and LAC to enhance and deepen cooperation in different fields.
- To support government authorities and members of parliament of Japan with links to LAC to strengthen governmental relationships between both regions.
The proper management of JAPOLAC will be through a Board of Directors.
|Name||Japan Association for Promotion Of Latin America and the Caribbean “JAPOLAC”|
|Location||Room 806, Lions Mansion, Higashi-Ginza, 4-12-2 Tsukiji,
Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0045
|Phone||+81 03-6264-3858 (Japanese)
+81 03-6264-3859 (Spanish & English)
|Established||March 16, 2020|